Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Why I decided to share

"Don't be afraid to speak your truth. If delivered from the heart with kindness, honesty, and genuine intent, the effects can be astonishing and can take life, health, and relationships to new levels." ~ Baron Baptiste

After a "venting session" on how to better adopt the agile mindset and associated practices within ongoing software development projects at my company, a work collegue told me "you should start a blog on what agile is and how it can be adopted." This is not the first time I have heard this - my friends have said the same thing before and my reaction at the time was "why...who cares about what I think? who would even read this?"

In retrospect, I realize that by witholding my truth from others, I denied myself. And fundamentally, I did not speak up cause I was scared that other people would not agree with what they read and would not like me as a result - that they'd think "who's this kid talking about how software should be built and managed when she has no experience." That nobody would ever promote me in my company and that there would be more backstabbing from colleagues. In spite of my intuition screaming inside, I held my tongue both at the office and in personal relationships (on many topics) and let fear take hold. I developed a strong sense of self doubt and ended up feeling disempowered.

I have made a commitment to myself to do that no longer and will authentically share my thoughts and experiences with the world through this blog. A few topics that I'm excited to write about are:
  • agile misconceptions - no, agile does not mean "the user designs software" or that the team codes faster
  • flaws in the JCIDS process - how the "it-in-a-box" concept is at odds with good design principles
  • a comparison of the yoga "way of life" + agile mindset
  • ...other exciting topics as I continue to learn about agile, software development, and establishing self-empowered teams 
Looking forward to sharing more!

No comments:

Post a Comment