Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Autonomy and Progress

Numerous studies have been conducted over the past 90 years on motivation factors. In 1924, Hawthorne conducted studies on female assembly line workers to understand the impact of environmental and social changes on productivity. He noticed that recognition, security, and a sense of belonging were more significant motivation factors than other aspects. (http://www.giovanniasproni.com/articles/MotivationTeamworkAndAgileDevelopment.pdf)

Various motivation theories have since emerged, such as those espoused by Maslow and Herzberg. Recent studies led by Harvard Business Review and economists such as Daniel Pink focused on examining knowledge workers. There seems to be a common theme across most of these studies - salary tends to rank near the bottom. The factors that seem to rank high are:
  • Autonomy
  • Progress
  • Achievement
  • Possibility for Growth
  • Recognition
Yet, in spite of almost 100 years worth of empirical evidence, many managers still hold a belief that salary matters more than it does. I have heard similar statements made by leaders I respect, and have always been surprised by the attitude. In spite of evidence to the contrary (e.g. some respected colleagues left my firm for lower paying jobs to perhaps experience more of the motivating factors listed above), I haven't heard much of a change in the voice track. 

I have head butted with fellow management colleagues on this idea - the part that baffles me the most is why the notion of "autonomy" in their mind means "less accountability." Gmail was developed during a period of autonomy given to workers. You'd think that case, among many, would be enough to prove the point!

I think some of it has to do with fear of change - in order for managers to embrace this idea they need to  drop the illusion of control. As a control freak, I can say this is not an easy process, but the benefits that come from it are astounding. By letting go, I have created more space in my career and in my life, which has given me room to explore. In the past month, I painted 4 paintings, written multiple blog posts, read 4 interesting books, further investigated some research interests, made some DIY holiday decorations, and baked fun treats. I also spent more positive time with family and friends. Symbolically, my first couple paintings had filled canvases with macabre themes, and my latest paintings have much more empty space and themes of growth, acceptance, and upward movement.

I want to let go of more, and see what happens! I hope my team will be more motivated as a result :)

No comments:

Post a Comment